Sunday 8 November 2015

Bokbier 2015 (part two)

A decade or so ago I tried tasting every Bokbier blind a couple of years in a row. Never again. Especially now Holland has so many breweries.

But I did make a sweep through Ton Overmars yesterday, picking up all the ones he stocks that I hadn't tried yet. To give them a try in a very informal way.

Brand Doppelbock is a beer with a reputaion. This years isn't that dark, barely scraping a brown shade. It's full and malty, without being treacly or sickly sweet. Quite nice, in a very old-fashioned sort of way. That's two pretty good Bocks Heineken turn out. Well done them.

Jopen Bokbier. Dark and malty, bit of bitterness. Pretty pleasant.* Zeeburg Dubbelbock: quite sweet, liquorice, I won't be throwing it down the sink.

Emelisse Imperial Doppelbock. Interesting that they use the German term. And throw in a tautological Imperial. Whereas they've thrown everything at the beer - malt, smoke, hops can can I detect booze? Naughty, but nice. I'm shocked Dolores likes it. It's very strong flavoured.  "I wouldn't want to drink a whole glass, though."









* I've done collaboration beers with Jopen.


No comments: